Several of my clients ask me concerning the big square box within the center area of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind some self-closing louvers. It’s a huge house fan and it will either benefit home owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and much less humid nights
* Use it if only the temperature and humidity outside is much more favorable compared to conditions indoors. When your air conditioner system continues to be operating during the day, along with the temperature outside drops lower (although the humidity continues to be high), don’t turn the page. The vent will suck each of the humid air into your air conditioned house
* The best time periods to make use of it might be, obviously, early morning and evening
Should you suffer from allergies, it is probably not smart to bring all of the pollution to the house. Your window screens will stop several of it, but whole house fans are extremely powerful and will make you sneeze more than ever before.
1. Before you turn the fan on, open as much windows and doors as is possible, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / water heater room doors (when they are louver type, it won’t matter). The suction of the whole house fan (no less than in the highest speed) is really great, that without open windows / doors, it will draw air from the outside through any possible openings like, for instance, from your chimney. Should it be a fireplace chimney and you also don’t eliminate the ashes… well, it’s likely to be a mess. Should it be a hot water heater / furnace chimney, it could blow away from the pilots.
2. When all things are ready, you can switch on the whole house fan and usually inside the next couple of seconds you need to feel plenty of exterior air flowing at home. Unless…
3. This part is incredibly important as opening the doors and windows – both have to be balanced to perform properly as a way to really benefit from the whole house fan operation. The atmosphere drawn from the whole house fan must be discharged throughout the attic vents for the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created from the attic area may cause the environment which was just pulled from the house to come back with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps within the attic wh0le along with the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation may not be enough to support the great tumblr post operation; you will need far more to transport everything that extra level of air on the exterior. And the formula to calculate the sq footage of your attic vents expected to discharge that air is very easy. You just need the proportions of all of your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, and a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is just a sample, calculate each of the rooms in your own home you think should be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you must to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is actually the section of the required attic vents (all of them combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. When the house you’re getting into has got the whole house fan already installed, lets hope it was properly sized up for the purpose (there could be a tag about the unit itself), which is to replace your house air within only a few minutes.
5. If you’re normally the one installing the whole house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes as being an optimal time to the house air exchange. To accomplish this, you’d have to divide your property total air volume (6550 cubic feet from our sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. Which will provide us with 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet each minute).
6. Yet another important thing: louvers of your Tumblr are not air tight and have no insulation applied on their surface; they leak air in between the house and attic. I would personally strongly suggest installing a complete house fan cover in attic area in order to avoid air drafts in the cold season – don’t forget to remove it before you decide to utilize the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and lots of people never rely on them, nonetheless they might benefit your wallet when you apply the above. There are actually currently other house ventilation systems available: they are more expensive (2 – three times) but very quiet, more potent, and offer air circulation for long intervals.